Jean-Paul's Melancholy \ Sartre's Melancholy is a Side Quest in NieR: Automata.
"The machine lifeform known as Sartre (Jean-Paul) lives in Pascal's Village and speaks in byzantine philosophical passages. Talking to him proved a frustrating - and fruitless - endeavor, so speak to his female admirers to learn more about him"
"A woman in Pascal's village explained that Sartre (Jean-Paul) has additional followers in the amusement park and desert. Find these two fans, and give their presents to Sartre"
"Sartre (Jean-Paul) seemed rather... nonplussed about the gifts. Go tell the three fans how he responded/"
"Despite being rejected by Sartre (Jean-Paul), his followers made no attempt to see him for what he truly was. As Sartre (Jean-Paul) also had no interest in understanding his followers, he began to question the overall meaning of the relationship."
"After visiting Sartre (Jean-Paul) again, you learned that he left a letter behind before departing on a journey. He devoted himself to philosophy to the very end, never once taking notice of those who held affection for him."
Sartre's Melancholy Objectives
- Speak to the Machine with Makeup
- Find the machine in the Desert Zone
- Find the machine in the Amusement Park
- Deliver all gifts to Sartre (Jean-Paul).
- Tell Sartre's (Jean-Paul's) fans what he thought of the gifts.
- Return to Machine Village to talk to Sartre (Jean-Paul).
Sartre's Melancholy (Jean-Paul Melancholy) Rewards
Sartre's Melancholy (Jean-Paul Melancholy) Walkthrough
- This quest unlocks upon your return to the Machine Village after the Assault event.
- To find the NPC for the quest, go in and past the Weapons/Item shop, up a ladder and right until you see a platform exiting to the right. Follow it to find Sartre, a hat-wearing machine.
- Next you return to the middle portion, go left and down a ladder, then take a right from the ladder and access point. Talk to the Machine with Makeup and you will receive Letter for Sartre (Jean-Paul), you must take it to Sartre (Jean-Paul). He won't even bother responding to the letter, but talking to the machine with makeup again reveals she does not care.
- Find the other fans, one in the Amusement Park, it's the Machine with a Dream, located on your left as you come up the main stairs. She gives you a Beautiful Glass to gift to Sartre. He will call it a trifle and say no reply is needed.
- The other one in the Desert Housing area, Machine in Love gives you a Machine Fossil to gift to Sartre (Jean-Paul). He will say he will not waste words on mere junk.
- Tell all of the followers of the rejection, then return to Sartre (Jean-Paul) once more. He will not be there, and the Ball-like Machine will tell you he left on a journey. You will obtain Sartre's Letter (Jean-Paul's) x1.
- In English releases of the game, Sartre is referred to by the name Jean-Paul, and as such the quest is titled "Jean-Paul's Melancholy"