All Pre-Release Information about NieR: Automata is discussed below. The information below is current as of E3 2016.
- 3 Playable characters - YoRHa 2B , YoRHa 9S , YoRHa A2
- Some characters from previous games will appear
- There will be a same protagonist for both JPN and INTL versions of the game (unlike the original NieR)
- Set after the "Ending E" of NieR (Info in the book "Grimoire Nier")
- Gameplay is a hybrid between NieR/Drakengard and Bayonetta style of gameplay
- Players can wield 2 sets of weapons (each set has 2 weapons)
- Weapon Categories are: Katanas, Short Swords, Great Swords, Spears and Gauntlets
- Players will have Pods that follow them. These can be used for ranged attacking (shooting bullets at enemies) or hanging on to for longer jumps or flying across the field.
- Players don't need to play the previous NieR games to understand this game. (No background knowledge required)
- The game has RPG elements as well as an action-based gameplay
- Players will be able to collect, buy and sell items at camps
- The camera is free for the most part but occasionally switches to a side view, just like original NieR.
- Locations include: City Ruins and the Plains (where you will be in this title)
- Automata (machine) enemies will be roaming around freely in the world
- Your 2 weapons are binded to Triangle and Square buttons respectively.
- You can evade attacks using button. You can also evade mid-air. If you time your evasion perfectly, it will count as a "perfect dodge", allowing you to use your attack buttons to perform a special attack.
In the year 11945 during the 14th Machine War (some time after the 4th ending of the original NieR), Earth has suddenly been invaded by extraterrestrial life forms, armed with weapons known as “bio-machines.”
Facing imminent destruction, mankind had no choice but to flee the Earth and take refuge on the moon. In an attempt to reclaim their planet, humanity formed a resistance army of android soldiers.
To break through this deadlock and reclaim their homeworld, humanity sends the “YoRHa” – an infantry unit of state-of-the-art androids – into battle.
An arduous battle between androids and bio-machines unfolds on an uninhabited, barren planet. And who knows what forgotten truths are revealed in war…
While the storyline is connected to the first NieR game, players do not need to have any knowledge specifically about that game to play this one. Although players of the original NieR will appreciate the various easter eggs and throwbacks in-game.
Visit the Lore page to know more about the story.
The game is a fast-paced Bayonetta-type action RPG that has you playing as one of three playable characters - YoRHa No.2 Type B (2B), YoRHa No. 9 Type S (9S) or YoRHa Type A No.2 (A2). You go around with your Pods fighting various automata (Machines) to secure Earth for humans once again. You can use melee weapons such as Katanas, Short Swords, Great Swords and Gauntlets and ranged attacks through your Pods.