YoRHa No.9 Type S (9S) is a playable character in NieR: Automata.
"We...we're sold..iers...We take pride in...our service..."
- He is the male protagonist of Route B.
- Member of YoRHa - the automated infantry squad. The S-type model specializes in scanning and investigative purposes.
- Programmed with an emotional but kind personality
- He also goes by the nickname "Nines".
- Can hack enemies to detonate them in combat. Hold Triangle to start a hacking sequence. Enemies who does not notice you when you hack them can be subjugated or remote controlled (can only do this for one enemy at a time). Adding Hijack Boost chips will increase the level of remote-controlled enemies (max. +9).
- When you are in control of a hacked enemy, other machines will not notice you unless you attack them.
- When you subjugate/are in control of a hacked enemy press L3+R3 to detonate them.
- Hacking also grant 9S the ability to open special chests and certain doors.
- Pod cooldown will still be running even while you are hacking, this allows 9S to be more aggresive with Pod Programs.
- Unlike 2B and A2, 9S does not have a dedicated heavy attack button. He can perform them, but it requires you to delay the second hit of a light attack. You can also perform them by pressing R2 without any directional input and then attacking.
- The Forest Colosseum from DLC 3C3C1D119440927 allows 9S to fight in arena battles using remote-controlled machines. Hack into different types of enemies to gain access to their bodies in the arena.
- Height: 160 cm (with boots), Weight: 129.9 kg. His three sizes are B:61cm W: 53cm H:73 cm. (Taken from the Official Nier Automata World Guide).
YoRHa No.9 Type S (9S) Unit Data
! SPOILERS CAUTION !
"This unit's official title is Model S, Number 9. While this YoRHa member possessed offensive abilities, he specialized skilled at information gathering and hacking. While 9S normally had a kind personality, he began to exhibit hatred for A2 when she killed 2B-for whom he possessed an unusually deep affection. In a cruel twist, he also met end at the hands of A2."
(Summary of story and endings goes here)
- Instead of a pat on the head, 9S will do a fist bump with Pod 153 if you rub the touch pad.
- Like 2B and A2, part of 9S's clothing will be destroyed after you initiate self-destruct (mostly his pants).
- The secret trophy: Not That I Mind... is unlocked by playing 1 hour as 9S without his pants.
- Unlike A2 and 2B, 9S is limited in close combat due to his Hacking ability. Though ironically, 9S might easily outdamage 2B and 9S due to his targets being subjugated or detonated after a succesful hack.
- 9S does not hold his weapons but chooses to move them by levitation. This can result wide but slow attacks and occasional misses on smaller enemies.
- 9S is not the only YoRHa Scanner model seen in game, although they seem to be in the minority of YoRHa androids. 4S in the side quest: Reconnaissance Squad, and two nameless Scanner models are encountered (One in the Bunker maintenance shop, and the other in the side quest: Retrieve the Confidential Info). An 11S was also mentioned, during an audio transmission to 9S.
- 9S's hacking ability persists after remote controlling a foe. Most enemies tend to be passive unless engaged by the player. Players can take advantage of this ability to decimate groups of enemies by hacking alone.
- In the TGS 2016 trailer, the characters of Nier Automata were showcased along with a word/emotion that represents them the most. 9S's was 孤独 (Solitude).
- You can unlock the Young Man's Outfit for 9S by clearing arena battles in the Forest Colosseum from DLC 3C3C1D119440927. This is the outfit worn by young Nier from the Japanese version of the first game.