YoRHa No.9 Type S (9S) is a playable character in NieR: Automata.
"We...we're sold..iers...We take pride in...our service..."
- He is the male protagonist of Route B.
- Member of YoRHa - the automated infantry squad. The S-type model specializes in scanning and investigative purposes.
- Begins the game wielding the Cruel Oath short sword.
- Programmed with an emotional but kind personality
- He also goes by the nickname "Nines".
- Can hack enemies to detonate them in combat. Press Triangle to start a hacking sequence. Enemies who does not notice you when you hack them can be subjugated or remote controlled (can only do this for one enemy at a time). Adding Hijack Boost chips will increase the level of remote-controlled enemies (max. +9). Super strong enemies like bosses/mini bosses will not be instantly killed by a successful Hack but will explode for very sizeable damage; some enemies with massive health like the Golden robots who could take several minutes of hammering with normal weapons could be killed by 3 or 4 successful hacks. Some bosses are also inmune to hacking. The difficulty of the hacking minigame you get is based more on the type of enemy than their level or if they are a boss; a normal, plain Goliath biped from when they first start appearing on the map has a much harder minigame than the completely tripped out small stubby type Vengeful Child that has massive health, incredible speed and elaborate aerial power-dives; her hacking minigame is still the most basic type given she's based off of the most basic bot type.
- When you are in control of a hacked enemy, other machines will not notice you unless you attack them. You also lose access to your POD and the main system menus (one of the most important aspects of this being the main map and Waypoint system), but you do still have the Minimap on the main interface.
- Taking control of an enemy gives you access to at least some of their moves, which can be interesting to experiment with. You don't have your POD but both the POD weapon and special weapon buttons will trigger attacks from the enemy being controlled, as well as the Melee attack button. NOTE, you cannot fully fly if you manage to take control of the Small or Medium flyers; the Jump button makes them slowly hover upward but it has a max height limit only slightly higher than an Android's double jump, at which point it will just drop down at full speed and can't be repeated in midair. You can still move during this hover-jump allowing for decent range glides.
- When you subjugate/are in control of a hacked enemy press L3+R3 to detonate them.
- Hacking also grant 9S the ability to open special chests and certain doors.
- Pod cooldown will still be running even while you are hacking, allowing 9S to be more aggressive with Pod Programs.
- Unlike 2B and A2, 9S does not have a dedicated heavy attack button. He can perform them, but it requires you to delay the second hit of a light attack. You can also perform them by pressing R2 without any directional input and then attacking.
- The Forest Colosseum from DLC 3C3C1D119440927 allows 9S to fight in arena battles using remote-controlled machines. Hack into different types of enemies to gain access to their bodies in the arena.
- Height: 160 cm (with boots), Weight: 129.9 kg. His three sizes are B:61cm W: 53cm H:73 cm. (Taken from the Official Nier Automata World Guide).
One of the trickiest-and potentially very satisfying-enemies to take control of is a Linked-Sphere type. However, given that they aggro against you from quite a sizeable range not allowing a direct un-detected hack and various other issues, to get one you'll need to follow a very specific sequence and plan out what you intend to do with it afterwards, to not waste it.
- Before any hacking, find a Linked Sphere type somewhere without aggroing it and mark a Waypoint on where it is. Once part of the City Center collapses there are usually some around there.
- Set 2B to Passive mode so she doesn't shoot anything early and aggro them.
- Take control of anything you can, even one of the super slow Goliaths, by the time Linked Spheres regularly show up the enemy bots are more aggressive and aggro from a further distance.
- With the hacked unit and 2B on Passive mode you'll be able to move right past any bot without a reaction. You can safely body-switch to another faster unit without aggroing the units around it, so don't be afraid to hop into something a bit faster before attempting the Linked Sphere
- Go back to your set waypoint on the Minimap and hack the Linked Sphere.
Once you have control of a Linked Sphere, you may find you greatly appreciate its movement. Even though it still can't fully fly, it can still do very long-range "jumps" of a sort. The Dash button gets it instantly moving forward at roughly the same speed as an Android at max sprint (with the blurs showing behind them), and it can do this in mid air (as well as change direction). Combined with its slow "jump" this can allow for very long-range glides, and can get you access to areas you would normally have great difficulty reaching. You are still able to pick up loot, open standard boxes and even interact with NPCs while you're in a hacked body; you may find some quests like the Speed Race stages easier with it. The other flyers can't move like this; the Dash button does a short range backwards dodge move instead so they can't even glide-jump as far as what your Android can do.
Another very interesting one to control is the Reverse-Jointed Goliath. It also aggros from a long range so you'll have to use the same body-hopping process as you would for a Linked Sphere to get it. In a player's hands they have VERY serious firepower, with both rapid-fire dual shotgun blasts of shells and a powerful double beam sweep attack.
YoRHa No.9 Type S (9S) Unit Data
! SPOILERS CAUTION !
"This unit's official title is Model S, Number 9. While this YoRHa member possessed offensive abilities, he specialized skilled at information gathering and hacking. While 9S normally had a kind personality, he began to exhibit hatred for A2 when she killed 2B-for whom he possessed an unusually deep affection. In a cruel twist, he also met end at the hands of A2."
(Summary of story and endings goes here)
- Instead of a pat on the head, 9S will do a fist bump with Pod 153 if you rub the touch pad.
- Like 2B and A2, part of 9S's clothing will be destroyed after you initiate self-destruct (mostly his pants).
- The secret trophy: Not That I Mind... is unlocked by playing 1 hour as 9S without his pants.
- Unlike A2 and 2B, 9S is limited in close combat due to his Hacking ability. Though ironically, 9S might easily outdamage A2 and 2B due to his targets being subjugated or detonated after a successful hack.
- 9S does not hold his weapons but chooses to move them by levitation. This can result wide but slow attacks and occasional misses on smaller enemies.
- 9S is not the only YoRHa Scanner model seen in game, although they seem to be in the minority of YoRHa androids. 4S in the side quest: Reconnaissance Squad, and two nameless Scanner models are encountered (One in the Bunker maintenance shop, and the other in the side quest: Retrieve the Confidential Info). An 11S was also mentioned, during an audio transmission to 9S.
- 9S's hacking ability persists after remote controlling a foe. Most enemies tend to be passive unless engaged by the player. Players can take advantage of this ability to decimate groups of enemies by hacking alone.
- In the TGS 2016 trailer, the characters of Nier Automata were showcased along with a word/emotion that represents them the most. 9S's was 孤独 (Solitude).
- You can unlock the Young Man's Outfit for 9S by clearing arena battles in the Forest Colosseum from DLC 3C3C1D119440927. This is the outfit worn by young Nier from the Japanese version of the first game.
- 9S faces demise during his ending sequence, within his rage he kills A2 however impaling himself with 2B's original sword.