YoRHa Type A No.2 (A2) is a playable character in NieR:Automata.
"Command is the one that betrayed you."
- First encountered as a boss fight in the story quest The Forest Kingdom.
- Later becomes the protagonist of Route C.
- She is a prototype model which would later be used to create the more advanced 2B and 9S.
- Ex-YoRHa member who distrusts the YoRHa.
- Keeps to herself unless she feels it is necessary.
- Her unique dash (R2) has an optical camouflage effect that makes her appear invisible for a split second. Holding R2 will boost your dash to cover more distance and temporarily increase attack power.
- Berserk Mode (L3+R3) boosts her attack tremendously while rapidly draining her health. While in this mode A2's boost dash can also deal damage to enemies.
- Taunting (hold Square) will boost the attack of enemy unit(s) and herself by 180%. Adding Taunt Up attack chips will increase the percentage (max. 500%).
- Height: 168cm (with heels), Weight: 139.2kg. Her three sizes are B:73cm W: 54cm H:82cm. (Taken from the official NieR Automata World Guide).
YoRHa Type A No.2 (A2) Unit Data
! SPOILERS AHEAD !
Chapter 06-05 "The A-model is a YoRHa prototype that specializes in close-quarter combat. Though not presently in use, it was originally created to speed along the implementation of other official models such as 2B and 9S. This particular unit, whose official title is Class A, Number 2, was wanted by Command for desertion and ordered to be destroyed on sight. She first appeared in the Forest Castle, where she slew the Forest King. 2B and 9S engaged her in combat, but she managed to escape."
Chapter 17-09 "9S and A2 face off. A2 tries to convince 9S of how pointless the fight is, but her words fail to penetrate the cloud of violent anger in his mind. During the battle, A2 hesitates for a moment when she hears a memory of 2B call out to her, leading to her demise."
While gathering intelligence on machine lifeforms in the Forest Kingdom, 2B and 9S encounters A2 for the first time. While 9S tries to communicate with her, YorHa command orders them to attack A2 on sight and eliminate her. The three sparred violently but A2 managed to fend them off and disappeared. After the Bunker is destroyed by the corrupted YorHa units, 2B notices that her own body is being eaten away by the virus that was spread through the machine lifeform's EMP attack.While fending off her attackers, 2B is saved by A2 and is forced to impart her memories before being fully corrupted. A2 accepts her request and kills 2B with her Virtuous Contract just as 9S arrives on the scene.
After being knocked unconscious by the collapsing landform, A2 awakens in the shopping center ruins greeted by Pod 042. She resents the pod at first but 042, duty-bound by 2B's final orders, stuck fast to her travels - whether A2 liked it or not. Finally reaching an agreement, A2 and her pod heads to the desert to destroy a large machine, but is later disheartened when a colossal, interlocking machine appears from the sand. Struggling, she goes into "B-Mode" to fight it.
A2, having suffered an overload during the battle in the desert, reboots. She goes to the Resistance Camp to change her fuel filter, and Anemone refers her to Pascal. Having finally able to function at peak performance, A2 felt obligated to do something in return for Pascal, she then accepts to gather materials for him and eventually bonded with Pascal and the machine villagers. Afterwards, while being away from the village, A2 received an alarming message from Pascal and arrived back to find a group of cannibal machine lifeforms.
Pascal and the children from the village escaped to the abandoned factory. A2 and Pascal then learns of a large group of enemies and moves outside to intercept them. But something far worse awaits them after the fight. Returning to the children, they discovered that every single one of them had commited suicide out of fear. Pascal, wrecked with guilt, begs A2 to kill him or erase his memories. A2 reluctantly grants Pascal's wish and then left the factory.
Guided by a voice coming from one of the resource unit, A2 then heads to the Amusement Park where she found 9S who is currently fighting his operator, 21O. A2 finishes off 21O, much to 9S' rage, but before he could do anything the resource unit's floor collapsed, separating them and leaving A2 to fight the new enemy machine. After she dispatched the machines, A2 then left the Amusement Park, hearing from her Pod that the main tower gate in the City Ruins is now open, she makes her way to the entrance.
While searching the interior of the tower, A2 steps into gigantic, white library, where she discovers that it is in fact a data gathering facility for the machines, who now has hacked deep into the human server database on the moon. Before she could inspect any further, a giant machine lifeform crashed down into the room and attacks her. A2 fights off the machine until she managed to board an elevator to the top of the tower when she's forcibly hacked. In cyberspace, girls in red clothes challenge her.
By working together with Pod 042, A2 managed to defeat the terminals and continues climbing the tower, but she is once again attacked by a large multi-leg weapon in the elevator. Upon reaching the top of the tower she rendezvoused once again with 9S, this time forced to work together fighting off the combined might of two large multi legged machine. After defeating the machine , 9S and A2 face off. A2 tries to convince 9S of how pointless it is to kill each other, but 9S is deafened by hate. This battle is where the player can decide between two different endings. When selecting 9S to fight in the battle, the battle concludes with A2 dying. She hesitates for a moment when she hears a memory of 2B calling out to her, leading to her demise. Selecting A2 for the ending causes the battle to end with A2 hacking into 9S, in order to remove the logic virus infecting 9S as a last ditch effort.
YoRHa Pearl Harbor Descent
Prior to the events of the game, A2 was a secret YoRHa operative taking part of a project on Earth called the Pearl Harbor Descent. The purpose of this operation was to monitor and research how experimental YoRHa units would behave during battle. This information would then be studied and integrated into newer models to improve the quality of production. Originally there were 16 YoRHa units who took part in this operation, but only four managed to land in one piece, A2 being one of them.
Since the original squad captain was destroyed during the descent, A2 took command of the YoRHa squadron once they begun operation. Intel reveals that she issued many questionable commands during her initial time in a leadership role, but eventually formed a working relationship with the Resistance forces and managed to destroy a major machine server which gained YoRHa the upper hand during the war. Despite her success, A2 abandoned her post after the mission and from then on was marked as a deserter to be hunted down by the next-generation Type E model (2B).
- You can also "taunt" enemies by flashing Pod's light on their faces (mash L3). This works on other characters as well.
- Character designed by Akihiko Yoshida (CyDesignation, Inc.), who previously worked on other Square Enix titles such as FFXIV and Bravely Default.
- The designation A2 refers to [A]ttacker Number .
- Her extended backstory during the Pearl Harbor Descent is available as an official stage play, with A2 being portrayed by the Japanese idol and actor, Ruka Endō.
- In the stage play, it is mentioned that all of the YoRHa units have human memories implanted into them. A2's memories were taken from the memories of a certain young girl who lived happily with her grandmother.
- Similiar to 2B, she will pat Pod 042 on the head if you rub the touch pad.
- Prior to receiving Virtuous Contract from 2B, she uses the Type 4O Sword and the Type 4O Blade as her main weapons.
- Like her successor 2B, A2 prefers to wield weapons by her hands, allowing swift and deft combos. A2 adopts a more haphazard style of fighting to complement her Berserker ability.
- You can get her long hair back by clearing Route C, which unlocks the A2 Wig.
- The black cloth around her waist and back can be removed, but all the other black areas on her body is the android frame (endoskeleton), exposed by damage to the artificial skin. These skin-colored portions are made of a type of carbon composite, rubbery type material (Taken from translated material from the official NieR Automata Strategy Guide).
- In the TGS 2016 trailer, the characters of Nier Automata were showcased along with a word/emotion that represents them the most. A2's was 復讐 (Revenge).
- You can unlock the Destroyer's Outfit for A2 by clearing the Sand Trials from DLC 3C3C1D119440927. This outfit is the one worn by adult Nier in the Japanese version of the first game.