Emil is an NPC and a Merchants in NieR: Automata. NPCs are characters aside from the main player character that can be interacted with or encountered during the game. These NPCs provide additional dialogue, information, services, items or additional Quests and rewards when interacting with them. Various Shopkeepers, Operators, and some senient Machines will be classified as NPC in NieR: Automata. Find information on all Emil interactions, services or related quests below or view NPCs to view a list of all available NPCs in the game.
Emil in NieR Automata appears in a different form from previous titles. He is believed to have survived the events of NieR Replicant but takes up a new form and can now be interacted with as an NPC. In NieR Automata, he now owns a store and also offers his own Quest in the City Ruins uncovering some memories that may have been forgotten. In NieR Replicant, he plays a center role to the story, traveling alongside NieR himself as he unravels the truth about the Shades that terrorize their home. After completing the game, Emil has a chance to play a key part in one of the Secret Endings of the game, Ending Y.
Emil Information NieR Automata
"This mysterious creature emerged from inside of a machine lifeform and set up a shop afer obtaining a new body. While he calls himself Emil, his true identity is a mystery. Once he discovered who had been stealing from his room, he was incited to fight. But after being defeated, he was reduced to tears by the realization that only power matters in this world."
- NPC Type: Merchant
- Related Quests: Emil's Memories, Emil's Determination (leads to Ending Y)
- Related Ending: Ending Y
- Locations: City Ruins
- In NieR Automata, Emil has an Item Shop that will spawn randomly in one of three locations; near the Desert Zone entrance, the City Ruins: Near Factory access point, and outside the Resistance Camp. He will sell different items depending on where you find him. He has two kinds of items in stock per route, either chips or weapons and materials. Making him switch routes is - for now - quite unreliable. Teleporting in and out of access points seems to work. Another fairly good approach is to walk between the desert zone and halfway to the Desert: Camp access point via moose, then check your map for his icon. It is faster than teleporting and has a good chance of making him switch routes.
- Emil's Item Shop stocks a number of Plug-in Chips, Materials, Weapons, and Key Items
- Emil Resembles the companion character who accompanied the player in the NieR: Gestalt / NieR: Replicant, but may actually be a copy. He harbors latent magical power, but most of his memory is gone due to the long years that have passed/making so many copies of himself.
- Secret Ending: How to get Ending Y [Spoilers]
Emil also takes part in the game and gives you Ending Y, a secret ending with a Secret Boss encounter against none other than Emil himself. See also: Emil (Boss)
Emil Locations and Where to find in NieR Automata
- When you speak to Pascal at his village, after completing the fight against A2, Emil will start appearing on the map. He can be found in the northeast corner of the City Ruins, driving around in a van. Shoot him with your POD to make him stop and speak to him for a hint about his home. Head back to the commercial district where you access the Forest Zone and interact with the Lunar Tear flower. Emil will appear and ask you to look for other Lunar Tears and the Side Quest Emil's Memories will begin.
- During your second playthrough as 9S, after unlocking the Forest Zone, you can go to the City Ruins and go into the of pipe just above the City Ruins: Cave location. (Not the one with the ladder down to the caves, but the one between the two ruined buildings.) Open this door using the Elevator Key you had obtained via the quest Emil's Memories. Inside, you will be at "City Ruins: Deep Cave". Please note that the door leading to Emil's Residence will be locked if you go there on a second playthrough, and requires you to talk to Emil at the desert entrance again for it to be unlocked.
- Explore the deep cave, unlock some unit data for Enhanced Machines (lvl 50) and items such as Silver Ore and Meteorite, a Locked Chest, Titanium Alloy, Memory Alloy. and Pyrite.
- Eventually you will arrive at a gate and to Emil's Residence. Go inside and pick up Emil's Mask. Return to the surface, find Emil and talk to him again. He will comment and say someone stole from him and now he has put everything in a secured chest.
- Go back down the elevator in the pipe to the Deep Cave, and unlock the special Locked Chest that now appears in Emil's Residence. You will obtain Emil's Head.
- When you exit the room, Emil faces you as a Level 99 Boss. The best way to defeat him is to have Auto-Heal and Anti Chain Damage Chips on, and 2B on aggressive. Focus on dodging the projectiles and trying to hack Emil.
- If you begin increasing the hacking gauge, and then perform a perfect dodge, during the slow motion the gauge suddenly fills up rapidly. This can be abused by letting him try to ram you, hacking until the last second, and then dodging towards him, and immediately dodging away. This generally fills up 90% of the gauge almost instantly
Emil Shop Stock NieR Automata
Emil Trivia, Note & Tips NieR Automata
- Emil notes and tips go here
- Can be fought as an optional super-boss.
- Emil's stock depends on the location he has been stopped, so if he passes through the location the player needs, they can wait for him to come back there instead of trying to spawn him again.
- Attempting to hack Emil as 9S will result in 9S being briefly stunned.
- Using the bed at resistance camp can reload his location
Emil Dialogue NieR: Automata:
- Emil's Memories: "You happened upon Emil admiring the lunar tears around the commercial facility. He said they brought back memories, and also filled him with an emotion that he couldn't quite describe. He then asked you to find more lunar tears somewhere in each region, hoping that they might help him understand his feelings."
- Locate and Upgrade all available Weapon (requires Master Sworthsmith Masamune)
- Complete Emil's Memories
How to trigger the Ending:
- When the requirements are fulfilled, return to Emil. This interaction will result in Emil escaping to the Desert Zone
- Follow him to the Deesert Zone to trigger the secret boss fight
- Allow the Emil head to self-destruct to obtain Ending Y.
NieR: Automata Emil Image Gallery
|NieR: Automata All NPCs|
22B ♦ 4S ♦ 64B ♦ 8B ♦ Adam ♦ Anemone ♦ Animal-loving Machine ♦ Apologetic Machine ♦ Big Sister Machine ♦ Child Machine ♦ Commander ♦ Devola ♦ Devola & Popola ♦ Devola Popola ♦ Eve ♦ Father Machine ♦ Father Servo ♦ Friend Machine ♦ High-Speed Machine ♦ Jackass ♦ Jean-Paul ♦ Juliet ♦ Little Sister Machine ♦ Machine in Love ♦ Machine with a Dream ♦ Machine with Makeup ♦ Masamune ♦ Master Swordsmith Masamune ♦ Mother Machine ♦ Operator 210 ♦ Operator 21O ♦ Operator 60 ♦ Operator 6O ♦ Pascal ♦ Pod 042 ♦ Pod 153 ♦ Popola ♦ Red Girl ♦ Romeo ♦ Sartre ♦ Scientist Machine ♦ Weird Machine ♦ Yorha 2B ♦ Yorha 9S ♦ Yorha A2 ♦ YoRHa: Gunner 16