Side Quests in Nier: Automata are covered on this page. Side quests can be acquired in the Resistance Camp and other hub locations as you complete main quest steps and unlock new regions. These side quests can usually be spotted on the map marked as "red dots". There are a total of 60 side quests, divided into six categories (four categories in game):
- Shared (can be done by both 2B and 9S). 33 in total, 2 of them you get from the bunker only and one of them is highly missable
- 2B (can only be done by 2B). 4 in total, all on your first playthrough
- 9S (can only be done by 9S). 13 in total, 11 of them on your 2nd playthrough and 2 of them on your 3rd playthrough
- A2 (can only be done by A2). 3 in total
- A2 & 9S (can be done by both A2 and 9S). 5 in total, both on your 3rd playthrough
- All Three (can be done by all three characters 2B, 9S, A2). 2 in total, 1 of them you need all weapons fully upgraded and it can be done with all three characters through chapter select
Notes: Completing the main quest 'Missile Supply Mission' will make most side quests in the game unavailable until the next playthrough. It is therefore recommended to check the map for "red dots" after completing a main story quest.
This table is presented by in-game log order. You can change the sorting by clicking the header of each column.
- Various players have reported to be stuck at 98% quest completion after seemingly finishing all the quests in the game; i.e. no "red dots" showing up on the Earth-map. This is because of a missable quest called Improving Communications. This quest becomes available in chapter (CH)02_02: Traveling to the Desert, and is given by the Commander (found in the Bunker Command room, ground floor, dressed in white and with the beige text: "quest" above her head). Players are advised to use the Resistance Camp transport to go to the Bunker the moment they start the main story mission The Machine Surge to pick the quest up as soon as possible, as this quest is easily missable and needs to be completed before starting CH05-02: Goliath Attack.
- It is recommended that players finish quest The Wandering Couple and Emil's Memories before triggering the main story quest Missile Resupply. Triggering this main story quest before completing these side quests, erases their progress entirely from the Active Quests menu and the player is subsequently locked out from completing the quests until a next playthrough (if playing as 2B) or until Chapter Select is unlocked (missing the quest as both 2B and 9S) . These quests are accessible and completable after CH05-02: Goliath Attack.