Machine Examination 2 is a Side Quest in NieR: Automata.
"Gather the required materials to gain more intel from the wrecked Goliath."
"The Goliath - who was named Engels - thanked you for the repairs and handed over all machine-lifeform data in his possession. With a good amount of free time on his hands, he now looks forward to future conversations.
Through his talks with 9S and 2B, Engels came to realize the severity of his sins. Already at the end of his life span, he decided that death would be the best option."
Machine Examination 2 Objectives
Machine Examination 2 Rewards
- 750 EXP
- Archives: Engels 110-B Record 0010
- Fast Cooldown +6 Chip
- Max HP Up +6 Chip
- Archives: Engels 110-B Record 0020
Machine Examination 2 Walkthrough
- You must have completed the Assault main quest, and Machine Examination 1.
- You will obtain this automatically after the previous quest
- Go to the marked locations in City Ruins to obtain the materials by defeating Goliath Biped and Small Stubby enemies.
- Bring the materials back to the broken Goliath, this time it will speak properly, naming itself "Engels". It will give you over all of its data, and thank you for saving it.
- Come back after obtaining the Resupply quest and speak to Engels.
- Whenever Engels says he's tired and must rest, the easiest and fastest way to get it to the next stage of dialogue is reloading the game. You can do this by fast traveling between access points. Repeat this step a few times to complete the quest.
- It's possible to complete the quest up to a certain point (exhausting most of Engels' dialogue) before obtaining the Resupply quest - however, he will eventually repeat "I am tired" after a certain point. Do not abandon the quest - proceed along the main questline until acquiring the Resupply quest, then return to Engels.
- To interact with Engels, stand on the ground in front of his face, e.g. in front of the ruined section of roadway, on the raised slab of concrete sticking out from the ground at an angle. Position the camera so he's in frame. A quest icon will appear in red over his head, at which point you'll be able to interact with him. There's no need to climb up the actual structure / "spiral staircase" itself.